Sunday, April 10, 2011

Waaasaaa.....bi

A couple of weeks ago when traveling to DC we went to a pretty unassuming little place, it was Monday night so I was tired from dealing with travel and NOT getting my Great American Bagel.  Anyway, I figured a quick burger and some water and I'd be good to go (water) cause I was trying to conserve funds.  However, I walk through the door and I'm immediately slapped across the face with 'Special: Bell's Two Hearted Ale, American IPA Pints' well so much for conserving funds, I could not in my right mind pass this draft up.  It's okay, we'll make up for it on the menu, sandwich or burger, keep it simple, keep it cheap.  I was all set on a delicious sounding (and healthy Turkey burger, to those who scoff, travel as much as I do, eat as much take out and restaurant food and you'll go turkey too every once in awhile).  It sounded good had some roasted red peppers and other things to spice it up a bit.  At this point I should have put the menu down, but curiosity and a being board of waiting on the waiter got the better of me and I took a look at the rest of the menu.  And thats when I saw: Wassabi Crusted Meatloaf.  The battle was lost before a shot was fired.  This was such a unique and intriguing menu item that I could not say no. 

I am happy to say that i chose wisely, this was amazingly delicious, but LOTS of wassabi so if you are not a fan then, stay away from this dish because it is full on wassabi, but it all worked and was very very good.  It is something that I really want to try to replicate, although I've never actually done anything with wassabi in my own kitchen.  And to be honest this was the first time I'd had it in a dish outside of sushi.  

No comments: