Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's a Big Deal Because... It's a Big Deal

So I wrote this a few days ago about this video where a soccer player lost her cool and well frankly flipped out.  She expressed disappointment in herself and remorse for her actions, kind of... she followed up her apology with this statement:

“I definitely feel because I am a female it did bring about a lot more attention than if a male were to do it,” Lambert said. “It’s more expected for men to go out there and be rough. The female, we’re still looked at as, Oh, we kick the ball around and score a goal. But it’s not. We train very hard to reach the highest level we can get to. The physical aspect has increased over the years. I’m not saying it’s for the bad or it’s been too overly aggressive. It’s a game. Sports are physical.”


I disagree 100%.  This story brought attention to you because you flipped out in a game and after several questionable actions, went out for a big finish by yanking an opposing player to the ground by her pony tail.  The media coverage had 0 to do whith your gender.  I repeat ZERO.  I didn't even see this as a headline on ESPN.com, a site I visit regularly.  I can without thinking name four players all male who flipped out in games committing acts of "violence" that were a) front page news and 2) still talked about to this day:


That was easy, I'm sure there are a few more (how could I have forgotten: Latrell Spreewell).  Bottom line, your apology means slightly less in my eyes since you threw that comment in there.  Almost trying to dismiss some of the gravity of it by making it sound like it was blown out of proportion because of her gender.  It's time to take responsibility, full responsibility for what you did and the fallout.  As a serious college athlete, you can't expect to do something that out of left field and not land on ESPN.

No comments: