Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Beer of the Month: Bud Light Golden Wheat

I consider my self a beer guy.  I like beer.  I'm not an expert by any means and there is much more that I would like to learn.  The newest attempt at a Big 3 product to crack the "craft brew" market is Bud Light Golden Wheat.  Now I had very very low expectations for this beer.  No way can a light beer formula give even the slightest bit of the flavor of a craft.  I was wrong, sort of.  First off let me say that the beer is pretty darn good.  But as I suspected it does fall a bit short on flavor, it does lack the complexity of a true craft beer without a really big, bold flavor.  Which, I think would be expected to some extent.  So, that's maybe not a truly fair comparison because after all this is a light beer formula so it's not a true apples to apples comparison, so in a comparison to Bud Light/Coor's Light/Miller Lite it's got, IMO, substantially more flavor.  It comes with a bit higher price tag, but I think it's worth it for a light beer alternative for those of us that prefer beer with a bit more flavor to it.



In terms of calories here's a breakdown:
Bud Light:  110
Bud Light Golden Wheat 118
Sam Adams Light 124
Magic Hat #9 146

What I want to test is which is better in terms of flavor... Bud Light Golden Wheat or Sam Adams Light?  4 extra calories isn't a whole lot in the scheme of things so I think that should be the true measure on this beers flavor.

1 comment:

Josh McMahan said...

I'm not adverse to giving it a second chance, but my first encounter made me think I had just taken a drink of perfume.