Monday, May 25, 2009

Everything is Nerdy

I was walking down the street the other day and we passed a store that had old collectibles and hobby things and I realized, everything,  I mean everything is Nerdy, Geeky, Dorky; pick your adjective.  Think about it, really think about it geeks are made fun of constantly for D&D and various other role-playing games, but I would bet money that even the manliest and macho of men lives life vicariously through their fantasy football/baseball team, holding onto their star pitcher's K per 9 ratio like the nerdiest of nerd touting the spell casting power of his mage night elf.  It's pretty much the same thing.  A nerd tunes into pod casts, reads blogs, etc. but a manly man never misses a single Stuart Scott's Boo Yah.  Actions figures, well I'll let the blow pictures explain all that needs to be said about toys, I mean action figures.



Magic the Gathering cards... two words, Upper Deck.  

Face it, bottom line is all of us have nerd like tendencies and obsessions in our own little way.  Some have baseball, reciting statistics like bible versus and others have Star Trek and can likely sing the Star Spangled Banner in Klingon.  I guess it boils down to what has become "socially acceptable" obsessions.  Sports Center is viewed as cool or "normal".  Battlestar Galactica marathons on the SciFi channel, not so much.  I know I personally have many many obsessions that chuck me right into the heart of geekdom.  I love fantasy sports. I love video games. Transformers. Comic Book movies. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.  And I would love more than anything to play the MMORPG, World of Warcraft, but fear that I would turn into one of these:


So celebrate your geek-like behavior whatever it may.  Don't hide from it  It's okay I promise.  

May the force be with you.

No comments: