Tuesday, May 12, 2009

PAUTLA (Paw - tla)

People Against the Use of Three Letter Acronyms

I got an email today, about the the Federal Employee Paid Paternal Leave Act or FEPPLA as people in the gov call it.  This post has zero to do with the FEPPLA itself, but everything to do with the overuse of acronyms.  People will throw an acronyms on everything, FEPPLA is at the extreme end of the ridiculousness scale.  If it's over three letters it shoudl at LEAST form a pronounceable word (ie SCUBA) or it is too long and should not be used.  Many of use in our workplace are more familiar with TLAs or Three Letter Acronyms, that's right they made an acronym out of the phrase to describe an acronym.  PCR, TCR, TRS, CRS, FIRS, I  really could go on.  That's why I started PAUTLA and I sincerely hope that you will join me in this effort to stamp out the unnecessary use of three letter acronyms.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I get an RSS feed to your blog? I think I will need it for daily laughs and to maintain sanity. Especially while I'm working on LPM and ALL for FCA. Or was it CELS or CAMELS? Hmm. Perhaps I was looking at CIPA and GSAs. Damn acronyms.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.