Friday, September 24, 2010

Attack of the Killer Tomato


So I've written before about my distaste for this fruit... however in my ever vigilant quest to expand my pallet I reflected and determined that I'd mastered most of my demons, lettuce, onions, cucumbers, all fell one by one.  I dove into new cuisine, including sushi, carpaccio, and cow tongue (more on this later).  But still the tomato remained, my nemesis if you will.  It too must fall.  Rather than tip toe into battle, I confronted the enemy guns blazing.  YJ's Snack Shop was my Little Big Horn.  Turkey sandwich please... Now in the past this phrase would have been followed with an immediate and stern "no tomatoes."  Not this time, not this day.  While the tomatoes addition to the sandwich was not exactly fireworks in my mouth, it wasn't half bad.  That day was a small victory for me and I began down a road where I no longer feared this fruit.  This is not to say I'm not 100% over my distaste, I still can't bring myself to voluntarily add a tomato to my meal.  For example, Subway, no tomato on the sandwich.  However, In N Out, Double Double, as is, tomato and all.  So essentially the rule that will hopefully lead to full and total acceptance is this:  I will not ask for the tomato to be held or removed from a food item that is intended to be served with tomato, however if it is an upfront and/or optional addition I will still refrain.  Some may laugh at a 29 year old man writing about his internal struggles with tomatoes... I wrote that hoping to respond with a witty parry that would make you feel bad for laughing at me or at the very least make me feel better about you laughing at me, but I got nothing it is pretty funny.

No comments: