Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Working Out

Started working out again after far too long of a "break."  Pretty much status quo, I do a race, then I take a week off that turns into 6 months...  For sure not the way to go about things, the extreme soreness in my legs and arms is evidence to this fact.  So new year, new gym, new race.  I joined up with 24 hour fitness and it's not too bad, pretty sub-par when compared to the gym in Chicago, but at 1/2 the price I suppose a bit of a drop off is to be expected.  Anyway... Got a new race coming up in April the Ward Parkway Half-Marathon.  For better or worse I'm trying a new training regime this time around.  I decided to go with Hal Higdon, which is a running guru that a lot of people use.  This one is going to be a different one for sure since my last workouts just said, "ehh... go run 3mi Monday, 4 mi Wednesday... and so on"  This one is far more structured and has different workouts, 400m speed things, tempo runs, strength training, and all sorts of "fun" stuff.  It's taking a bit of getting used to going away from what I've always done but hopefully the results will be there in the end.  Doing a lot of the work on a hamster wheel (tredmill) because I hate running in the extreme cold, if it drops below 40 I'm done with the outdoors.   So far things are looking good, I'll keep things posted in the next few weeks once I get deeper into it.

No comments: