Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gym

As I mentioned earlier I joined up with 24 Hour Fitness a few weeks ago since I hate running in the cold and given recent vacation plans, more on this later, I figured it high time to drop some lbs and get my act together.  Now for those who've never been to a commercial gym, it's... well lets just say it's an experience.  This isn't my first adventure with a gym, since I was a member of a gym while in Chicago.  However, this gym is A LOT different.  Now I won't go into comparing the quality, cause the one in Chicago cost WAY too much so it was super nice... but you paid the price for the super nice.  24 Hour is ehhh... okay but it's cheap and well it does the job.  The patrons however is where the differences start...  I swear I picked the meat head gym.  I've never seen a collection of so many people who are either a) trying to get on the Jersey Shore or 2) trying to impress ladies (and not in a good way).  Now, getting ripped is all fine and good we'd all like to have a 6-pack and some sweet biceps.  But I swear an nearly break out in laughter when I see some of these fools lifting.  For example... saw a guy yesterday pry 5'10" maybe 185 throw 6 plates (45 lbs) on EACH side of a squat bar.  Normally I don't like to gawk at people in a gym cause it's just kind of creepy, but understandably a man of this stature stepping under that kind of weight was either going to be awesome or a NSFW YouTube video.  He got it off the rack which was further than I thought this would go.  Then he proceeded to squat, 2 inches down.  And this type of thing happens all over the gym, guys throwing on stupid amounts of weight and not even doing the exercise correctly.  Could I throw 225 on the bench press and knock out some 4 in. down bench presses... probably but that's not how the lift is done, so I put on my 125 and do it... 125 is a bit embarrassing and not nearly as cool looking as 225 but I'm not going to get injured and I won't end up unable to scratch my ear from messed up flexibility.  I think gyms should hire the most annoying comedian they can find that will just go around and publicly embarrass these guys, calling them out each and every time they are performing an exercise incorrectly, you get a few free passes, but the repeat offenders are clearly marked and let the ridicule begin. 

Perhaps they have special T-Shirts for them... Pink ones that are baggy

No comments: