Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Witness

Wasn't going to comment on this cause I really could care less about the NBA, it's, in my opinion, a bastardization of what basketball should be.  First and foremost I have zero problem with LeBron's decision, as if my opinion matters.  I had a problem with "The Decision" the hour long ESPN "look at me" show, but hey he's still young, chalk it up to a poor choice and move on.  The aftermath of the decision however has reveled the true character of some associated with the NBA.  Start with the Cavs owner and that idiotic rant that he issued moments after the Miami announcement was made.  Sir, you had FIVE years to improve that team and get someone else in there to help out.  All you had to do is get Amarie Stoudimire and LeBron stays or leaves and then send your letter and people will agree with you.  You sat on you hands and your money and gave him no help.

Perhaps what disturbs me more are the old-timers coming out of the woodwork to get some press by saying, why, in my day I never would have called up Bird, Magic, or Jordan....  That may be true there was a bit more rivalry amongst these guys than exist between Wade, Bosh and James.  Basically saying he took the easy way out.  If I were a reporter I would ask them one simple question after they quipped about these guys teaming up:  Who on the Cavs roster over the last 7 years will be inducted into the Hall of Fame and when?  Because this is the marque difference Bird, Magic, Jordan all had Hall of Fame talent on the court with them night after night, championship after championship.  Yes LeBron had Shaq but he had old knees AARP Shaq, not Shaq Diesel who will be in the Hall.  I guess it just bothers me because these guys were never in the same situation, they had talent surrounding them at all points in their careers.  That's not to say the Cavs players aren't talented, I mean they are in the NBA so they're clearly better than most everyone, but they are not Hall of Fame talent.  I guess I just wish they'd keep to themselves and not judge.  Magic has done it, which surprised me.  Jordan did it, which didn't he's kind of arrogant.  Bird has remained mum on it but you can bet that every reporter with a car is trying to track down a quote.  I truly hope he either remains mum on it, or comments that it's none of his business, everyone's situation is different.

I think that, if this arrangement works, it proves that LeBron is actually a better man than anyone thought.  If it works, it would prove that he does not have a huge ego, he does not need to be "the man" on a team, he just wants to play and to win.

No comments: