Monday, March 8, 2010

Sugar


So the reasonible thing to do on a Monday after waking up at 4:30 in the morning to travel to Minneapolis would have been to sleep.  However like a moth to flame I was drawn to HBO. Sugar was the move dujour.  First off the movie was not a good one to watch whilst sleepy because 95% of it is subtitled.  But alas, I made it and turns out it was a really good movie, it followed a group of Dominican baseball players as they tried to make it to the majors.  I won't spoil too much but if you like sports movies that aren't either way over the top or super "win one for the gipper" then I'd recommend this one.  Great story, that wasn't as cheesy as I feel like most sports movies are.  I feel like it was pretty "real" as far as what it might be like for someone who is trying to come up through the big leagues.  Which, as if that weren't daunting enough, these kids were trying to do so without many of the advantages that are afforded to stateside players.  Now the movie wasn't a true story, which makes it even more impressive because it felt like it really could have been.  Anyway, I liked the movie a lot so if you are looking for a good Netflix rent, look it up.

No comments: