Monday, April 27, 2009

Draft Day!

The NFL draft was Saturday and Sunday, the official sign that Football is alive and will be back sooner than we know (but not soon enough).  The day was a festival of good food and drink and even better company.  Mother nature did not fully cooperate with us, raining out several games of washers, but the day was still a blast, except getting owed in darts which never happens... but it did I'm losing my mojo.  Scrumptrulesant ribs and homemade poppers were consumed and many beers passed the lips.  All in all it was a pretty fun day an excellent kick off to the spring/summer months.  As far as draft commentary I have a few observations, rants, predictions:
  • Mel Kiper, this should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: greatest hair in America.
  • KC... I hope you know what you're doing, Aaron Curry is a beast not sure how I feel about the pass, but in Pioli I trust.
  • Al Davis is officially the worst drafter in the history of the NFL.  How on this planet do you pass on Michael Crabtree?  Did they not watch the Texas game?  I mean he That Dude (that's right I don't even remember his name and refuse to use Google it to find out) before Jeremy Machlin, which Machlin before Crabtree would have still been pretty stupid IMO,  at least that move would be somewhat defensible.  I predict that Crabtree will be one of the most dominant receivers to ever play the game, and it will further solidify the fact that Al Davis has lost his mind.  I (along with EVERYONE but Al) think he's that good.  
  • Remember this phrase, you're going to hear it often: "Davis to Crabtree... for 6."
  • A cap on Rookie salaries is needed.  $42 million in guaranteed money for a guy who's never played a down is absolutely insane.  If the guy busts (cough cough Alex Smith cough), sorry something in my throat there cause a choking sensation, to proceed, If the guy busts the Lions are still on the hook for $42 million, that's a lot of cabbage and ties the hands of the team for a LONG time.  Now I hope it works out because it suck have a team that is that terrible.  But having a top pick in the draft should cause for excitement for a team, not total dread because of the $ that will have to shelled out.  

No comments: