Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Adventures in Vegitarianism

Was walking through the grocery store a few weeks ago and as I passed by the tofu, I said to myself, self, I think we should give this a try.  So I picked up a brick, pretty proud of myself for stepping outside my chicken and beef lifestyle.  However, I soon realized that while it was pretty awesome that I had some tofu... I really had no clue what in the hell to do with it.  To Google I went.



Attempt one was to the Grill and BBQ sauce.  My thinking here was smokey grill + strong flavors of BBQ sauce would mute be the most approachable and mask any tofu taste more than any other method.  This was actually very tasty.  I went at it just as is, but I think with some additional fixins this would have been even more of a winner.  Attempt two was a bit more 'traditional' I went with the stir fry, tofu veggies, rice, the standard fair.  Again pretty good, I think my choice of sauce was the fatal flaw in this one... sauce I chose just wasn't that great so kind of ruined the whole experience frankly.


Final attempt was the scariest because it took something sacred... tacos.  This was by far my favorite prep meal.  Tofu, rice, black beans and cilantro was pretty delicious.  This one goes in the keeper pile for sure.  Let the tofu marinate in some spicy enchilada sauce sauteed it up and simmered in sauce a bit, warm corn tortillas and was ushered into flavor country.  Now to be clear I am not, nor will I ever, give up meat.  Ever.  Steak, breast, loin, ground you name it it's all delicious.  However, Every once in a while a change of pace is nice and it's fun to try something new.  Tofu was one new thing that was a pretty successful experiment.  I'll for sure be using this product again.


No comments: