Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Game of Thrones

**Book-It has finally been updated with a new book!**

Finally picked up a book to get back in the reading groove.  Harry Potter was just so good that it has taken me some time to find a suitable follow-up.  I really needed a series to keep me going (see gap in HP to now as Exhibit A).  After many options were explored I picked up the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.  For those unaware HBO has picked this series up for a show beginning in 2011, probably after Boardwalk Empire and their teasers for this spurred my initial interest, it literally gave me chills.  So after some light Google searching  I asked my brother if George R. R. Martin (author) rang any bells with him, and low and behold he had and gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up citing it as an all-time favorite.  The chills and his ringing endorsement led me to go ahead and just dive into it, despite it's hefty appearance at 800 pages (and that's book 1 of what is 4 so far...).  200 pages deep and I will say that I could not be more impressed, great writing, great story, fantastic all the way around - and I mean look at the guy, how can this guy not tell a good story?  The story is fantasy but not too extreme.  One thing I especially appreciate is how well us utilized names.  Now, doesn't sound like a big deal, but I think I would be a huge fantasy fan if it wasn't for keeping the names straight.  George does an awesome job of making names about 50/50 there are some made up names but also some normal names like Jon, Ned, etc.  Which makes tracking storylines a lot easier.  The storylines... don't want to give anything away but I'll just leave it at wow... I expected things to move slow in book 1 given it's 800 page length and the length of the series in general, but the storylines' hit the ground running very fast, which was fantastic.


If you're in the market and ready to invest some time, I'd highly recommend this as well - I'll update again at the end of the book, but 200 pgs in I doubt my opinion will change.


P.S.  I'm predicting now that this will be one of the best series HBO has ever produced.

1 comment:

seganita8 said...

This sounds good... always looking for new books. I'm in the middle of listening to the last Hunger Games book (Mockingjay) right now. That series is pretty decent too, but a quick read compared to these.