Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Know What You Did Yesterday

Facebook, Linkedin, Myspace, Tripit, Blogspot are all part of the ever-growing list of social networking sites, but I like to lump them under the software title Stalker 2.0 (my addition of Tripit was an upgrade from Stalker 1.8). With these various sites I can tell you in about 3 seconds what a bulk of my friends are doing right now, did yesterday, and plan to do tomorrow. Information that could once only be obtained with phone call that was a awkward and inconvenient for everyone involved can now be gathered at my leisure. No awkward phone call, no mess it's easy, Stalker 2.0 everyone should have it.

In all seriousness though social networking sites are a blessing and a curse in the truest sense of that phrase. The connectivity that they give us is unparalleled allowing me to easily keep in touch and keep tabs on hundreds of former classmates, rather than just the select few that I would have time to call, email, etc. You can voyeuristicly (is that even a word?) check in on nearly anyone under the age of 35 that you've ever met. The curse is that they are highly addictive, kinda like crack. They keep adding features and buttons and quizes and applications that keep you coming back daily to update your profile, yada yada yada. I bet one could literally spend all day on Facebook (and judging by status updates some of my friends do). And you are pretty well left in the dark if you are under 35 and don't utilize at least one form of social networking, whether it be a blog, Facebook, whatever.

No comments: