Friday, February 26, 2010

Midwest Airlines


In the twisted Tim Burton-esque merry-go-round that is the American airline industry I took another turn through crazy town when I was informed by the wonderful Midwest Airlines ticketing agent that they no longer offer standby as an option, but for $50 I could get a seat on a flight.  Wha??  So in an attempt to clarify I conjured up every ounce of sarcasim I could find at 8:30 in the morning, and weaved it into my bank examiner voice and said, "so... if I undersand you, I have a ticket for a flight at 3:00 today, and you're telling me that if there is an EMPTY seat on the 10:30 flight today, a seat that will remain empty when the plane leaves this airport, that I can't have it unless I pay $50?".... to which she responded "that is correct sir."  Hey airlines, how about you make money by doing some sound business, not by shaking your customers down Goodfellas style for a nickel here and a dime there.  I'm not expecting a hand out here, like free shipping or a discount, I just want logic.  I mean I though your baggage fees were assinine, but a $50 fee to sit in an empty seat, that takes the cake.

"We know you have a choice in travel.." Yes, yes I do and Midwest, you have now moved to the bottom of my choice list.

1 comment:

AA said...

They DO have the choco chip cookies though. Can't put a price on that.