Monday, March 9, 2009

SCUBA and Wine

Had my first true SCUBA experience the other day. Very very surreal. I mean staying 30 feet under water for an hour swimming with fish is pretty wild when you think about. It was very cool, words can't really describe it and the funny thing is that the best is yet to come when we head North to the reefs tomorrow (Tuesday). It should be a real treat.

Also took a wine tour the other day, bought 4 bottles, but if it weren't for darned import limits I'd have bought a few cases. Australia, particularly the Hunter Valley region is known for its Shiraz grapes and the wines we sampled did NOT disappoint. I even found a few whites that I particularly enjoyed. Bad news is that 3 of the wines we purchased they recommended cellaring for another 3 - 5 years to get the truly "big" taste out of them. Patience will be tough but I think we're going to try to hold out.

Another funny thing, they eat kangaroo. I assumed it was rare and protected, but apparently not, it's sold right there in the grocery next to the minced (ground) turkey and beef. It looks a lot like buffalo in it's make up and low low low fat content so I'm guessing it tastes similar.

I'm going to have some pictures but can't really post them from here since our computer isn't here but will get some up from our travels when I get back.

We saw Watchmen the other night, and I don't have time to give it its proper writeup now (but I will later), but in two words: amazingly unique.

Running update: Ran 6.5 miles today. Sydney coastal region is NOT flat, it was pretty intense!

No comments: