Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Greetings from the Future

After 17.5 Hours covering 10,000+ miles I made it to Australia! Haven't done much exploring yet but I did swim in the ocean for about 2 hours, it was awesome, save for the fact that I won't be able to put salt on anything for the rest of the year due to all the salt water I swallowed.

The plane ride, surprisingly, was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, overall it all went pretty smooth only one hiccup involving an incident with beef jerky, more on that later. The last 3 hours were probably the worst, but other than that it was just a lot of sleep, some movie watching, and more sleep. The sleep made the time transition very easy, so it was pretty seamless, even though I'm a day ahead, so if you think about it, I am writing to you from the future. Which I find pretty darn cool, because I am nerd like that, (for your reference I am writing this Thursday, March 5, 2009, 4:41 PM). Now about beef jerky, turns out you can't bring beef jerky into the country... So at customs this morning I watched them chuck $10 worth of delicious turkey jerky into the trash. It was sad.

One interesting thing was the hamburger I had for lunch here in Sydney. Now you might say, Ben how can a hamburger be that different? Well I will tell you, It had beets on it. That's right beets. Now being an outsider I gave it a whirl ordering the burger as is (except for tomatoes, sorry they are gross in all countries IMO). Surprisingly the beets gave it a little sweetness that when mixed with the BBQ was pretty tasty. Am I going to put beets on my burgers when I get back... absolutely not, but I am glad I gambled and tried this local twist.

No comments: