Friday, October 26, 2012

16 Goals

I feel like this is an appropriate way to kick off the revival, hopefully by talking about something that I've recently found a lot of meaning in and really taken to heart.

From the title a few of you will know exactly what I'm talking about, for those that don't know 16 goals is a reference to the 16 goals that the K-State Wildcats football team works to achieve.  Now, I know fan loyalty is something that runs extremely deep, but these goals were crafted, in part, by Bill Snyder, which, I think if any true college football fan would agree is among the greatest coaches of all time.  While the goals were established for his football team I think they hold a lot of meaning for anyone in everyday life.  Reading more about these goals I came across one of my new favorite motivational quotes, when discussing #12 Coach Snyder said: 

"However you may or may not have been today, 
tomorrow there isn't any reason you can't be better." 

I am not one for poster board motivation and I realize that this isn't a revelation or a concept that is completely new - but for some reason the way he said it really resonated with me.  I will admit that as a huge KSU fan, the source probably accounts for a lot of the resonance, but still.  I feel like it is something that really anyone can relate to, we all have good days and bad days, but we have to realize that regardless of the type of day we had tomorrow can and should be our best day.

Take a look at the goals below, if you really want the full effect and the meaning behind these goals follow this link to their website, the video clips are pretty inspirational in my opinion and tell a great story.  


16 Goals
  1. Commitment. To common goals and to being successful.
  2. Unselfishness. There is no “I” in TEAM.
  3. Unity. Come together as never before.
  4. Improve. Everyday... as a player, person, and student.
  5. Be Tough. Mentally and physically.
  6. Self-Discipline. Do it right, don’t accept less.
  7. Great Effort.
  8. Enthusiasm.
  9. Eliminate Mistakes. Don’t beat yourself.
  10. Never give up.
  11. Don’t Accept Losing. If you do so one time, it will be easy to do so for the rest of your life.
  12. No self-limitations. Expect more of yourself.
  13. Expect to Win. And truly believe we will.
  14. Consistency. Your very, very best every time.
  15. Leadership. Everyone can set the example.
  16. Responsibility. You are responsible for your own performance.

No comments: