Friday, October 16, 2009

What's a Hutterite Anyway?

The Hutterites are a religious colony similar to the Amish or Mennonites.  I had the pleasure to visit the Mountain View Colony just outside of Billings, MT while I was on a bank job up there last month.  This was my second trip up there and it was just as impressive the second time around.  The Hutterites colony is on a big patch of land, they have unassuming buildings or 7-plexes where the families live, surrounded by various out buildings that house their enterprises.  Mountain View for example has a Chicken laying barn, Hog facility, Dairy milking facility, butcher shop, wood shop, metal shop, and a large large garden.  For the most part the colony is very self sufficient, they raise all their meat, grow nearly all their vegetables, and make nearly all thier furnishings.  The colony is really something to see.  I found myself a bit envious of their lifestyle, while I would certainly miss my blog, facebook, gmail, House, MD, and Sons of Anarchy (more on SAMCRO later), I thought about all my rants on here about politicians and the general insanity of people.  They are, for the most part isolated from that, one because they are in middle of no where Montana and two because they aren't bombarded by 17 different forms of media.  I honestly don't think I could ever give it all up and "unplug" but walking around with them you can't help but think that it might not be a bad way to live.

From FCA Farm Tour

From FCA Farm Tour


If you want to read a little bit more here is a link to wikipedia entry on Hutterites

No comments: