Friday, February 20, 2009

Watchmen


I can't wait for March 6, 2009.  For those of you unaware that is the date when the Watchmen hit theaters.   Now I will admit right upfront that a LARGE majority of my hype for this movie is self built and is largely tied to two things 1) the amazing previews, that make this movie look larger than life and 2) Director Zack Snyder.  I know it's very odd to see a director's name listed as a reason for being excited about a movie.  Usually its the the leading man or lady that gets you hooked into a movie.  However in this case I'm betting on Zack Snyder throwing down another awesome movie, he was the man behind 300, a movie that I consider one of the best movies of my generation.  It's really hard to describe the style, I call it brilliant, but I've also heard that it's "all or nothing."  You either love his style or you hate it, I've heard very little in the way of middle ground.  

Watchmen isn't an "original" idea it's an adaptation of a comic book series released in the late 80s and later as a graphic novel.  Its the latest in a line of comic books to silver screen movies (Daredevil, Hulk, Batman, Superman, X-Men, I could go on and on).  Based on the success of past movies why not.  I'm particularly excited about this movie because I have only a slight idea about the plot and story.  Whereas with more "mainstream" characters, you have a good idea going in what "could" happen.  I was never into comics and I have never read the graphic novel but I am so intrigued by this story that I plan to read it on my trip to Australia in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully soon after the 6th I'll be able to provide a movie review.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about there's tons of preview floating around on Youtube, you should check them out.

No comments: